What’s happened this week:
- Netflix announced a modest profit and growth to 29m US and 6m international streaming subscribers, illustrating that OTT video is beginning to scale.
- Twitter launched Vine, the 6 second video equivalent of a tweet.
- Facebook announced that conversion tracking via an optimized CPM will be available for all advertisers. This is a quiet but significant move to a post cookie world.
What we have learned:
- 1.6bn mobile devices were shipped in 2012 (including 700m smartphones). We are expecting over 1bn smartphones this year.
- *Mobile accounts for 31% of site traffic in the UK, and tablets account for 18% of paid clicks for retailers, one of 50 mobile commerce facts…
..possibly why retailers worldwide will spend USD 28bn on mobile marketing this year virtually doubling to USD 55bn by 2015.
- New academic research states that online content with a social context is easier to recall than printed information…
..but it can make us highly envious.
- The best tagged TV ads from Shazam.
- Radio station 97x is crowdsourcing its programming via a mobile app.
Where to find more:
- ‘The role of brand in the digital age’ and the necessity of alignment across many more touch points.
- How the next wave of industrial innovation will drive the economic growth opportunity in the 2010s.
- Sam (thanks to JP and the Futures Group)