- Social TV service Zeebox received $15m investment from BSkyB, illustrating the emerging importance of the second screen to broadcasters. Sky Media will be selling inventory around Zeetags.
- The Consumer Electronics Show happens in Las Vegas this week, much of the pre-show buzz is around connected TV . Expect to see many new tablets, Ultrabooks and web enabled devices (much more on this next week).
- President Obama started to use Instagram, in what has to be the greatest of marketing coups for any startup.
What we have learned:
- 1% of mobile users account for half the world’s mobile bandwidth.
- 1.2bn apps were downloaded in the last week of 2011.
- 8m tablets are set to be sold in the UK this year, and many homes now boast 6 connected screens.
- Digital Projections are reaching a new scale, 44 projectors were used to transform the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in the UAE.
- 3d printing is coming to the consumer space with apps that connect to the Smartphone or the Kinnect creating a ‘YouTube of objects’.
- Miso is an interesting second screen app which provides a live slide show with extra information about TV shows.
Where to find more:
- Digital Health and the quantified self are interesting trends for this year with many new technologies to track and manage your sleep, fitness, diet and mental states.
- Predictions 2012: John Battelle has a strong track record this year he says look out for a Facebook ad network, the disruptive power of twitter and much more M&A, or try these 30 Social Media predictions.
- Will 2012 be the year of Hypermedia? All our media as connected as the hyperlink.
- Sam (thanks to JP and trhe Futures team)