What happened last week:
· Apple announced more iPhones software updates extending capabilities in multitasking and the new iAd platform.
What we have learned:
· The latest must download Mary Meeker internet trends pres is hot of the projector. It elegantly illustrates how much more quickly ideas succeed and fail.
· How much more time we are spending with Social Media sites , global; average 5.5hrs per month.
· How much the internet enables coupons, especially through mobile.
· Norway is being run from their Prime Minister’s iPad whilst stranded in New York.
· The Alice in Wonderland eBook for iPad is an early glimpse of just how transformative the technology can be for media experiences, you just can’t do this on a laptop.
· How the New York Times are redesigning news.
· The BBC have announced that there will be 4 extra interactive Dr Who episodes this year which cross the boundary between TV and video games. Yet more mass trans media.
· File under Geeky but Important: XAuth is akin to Facebook connect but not tied to a single company, it is an extension of OAuth allowing you to find where someone keeps their profile for OAuth to log in to.
· Also GbI: Google are showing us what the new HTML 5 standard is capable of. It is a step towards turning the web on to an operating system, you can play quake in your browser or keep your printer in good order from the cloud (which is sadly a problem we still all have).
Where to find more:
· So what is the internet of things and what does it really mean?
· There is a difference between the sociable and the sociopathic when it comes to social media. This critique of Farmville studies the not so positive psychological principles behind the game.
· The conclusion to a great series from Altimeter on designing social strategy. Preparation is mandatory but structure should follow culture.